Tuesday, August 26, 2008

YOU GOT CHANGE FOR A 20?

My GOD!
We have not posted something in sooo long! Normally I would apologize on our behalf of ...but we don't feel sorry for swift transitions. hahaha. It's a good sign.
We just havent had time to BLOG BLOG BLOG it up. Everyone in the collective is feeling the pressure of Season Change [including but not limited to the weather; with some of us moving to new apartments (take notice of the BROOKLYN RENAISSANCE that is occuring), preparing to be counselors/advisors for incoming freshman at our colleges, job switching, and entrepeneurship, Peace has been a luxury.

However, in the midst of trying to follow plans, budgets,deadlines and schedules..."THE REAL" caught up with me.
A few afternoons ago, I was on break from Freshman orientation training. These 9 am mornings and 9pm nights are not for the feeble hearted.When lunch comes, I barely want to eat or bear witness to the -Itis...I just want to sleep...Moving on with my story...I was in the line at The Cantina [yes,my school has no real cafeteria].I had fruit snacks and a Nutri-Grain bar in hand. I went to pay for my sweet eats and the cashier told me the total was $1.55; The only cash I had was $21.
I dug and fiddled around my pocket, twirling my fingers in between the lint and keys... At that moment I was so pissed off that I didn't have coins.
I HATE breaking big bills because then the money seems to spend so much faster and be out of my control. So I huffed and puffed and basically had a "RESPONSIBLE ADULT TANTRUM" [I just made that term up]. With a calm voice and subtle smile, the cashier encouraged me not to fret. He then made a simple remark, "Change is part of life." And it caught me by surprise. I was so entangled by my mini financial crisis, words of reason were foreign.
I smiled and told that man I was going to quote him. Okay, so it may not be the newest phrase or even the most enchanting interpretation of this old idea;But for me it took new shape...it had new meaning!

I have been making some drastic changes in my life. Risks have been all up and down my alley. I don't even think I would recognize the old me if it sat right next to me. I have control over everything...yet I have control over nothing. And thats been frightening me lately...I've been saying a lot of "I just have to figure it all out." BUUUUUT I CANT!
So I write another epic long blog to say this simple bit----CHANGE IS PART OF LIFE!!! Love it. Don't just deal, EMBRACE IT. Be good stewarts over your time and your money and blessings will surely be in your cycle. Most of us accept that, for the BIG changes. But be sure to keep that thought in pocket when you only have a $20 and you want a Fruit Roll-Up. LOL.

Thank you cashier man.



Another Moment Brought to You by The Black WillyWonka,
Johnston Michaels

No comments: